Living a frugal life.

But doing it with LESS effort, not more.




"I buy my freedom with my frugality"

The Tightwad Gazette

Retirement in 10 Years

I was very excited to do my calculations this week, using an online tool provided by my pension provider, as well as the government pension calculator, and I look in good shape to retire in 10 years, at age 55. Just the work pension and CPP will be more than enough for me to live on, plus I'll have my own RRSP and savings to draw on in addition to the two sources of pension income.

Truth is, I live on so little (right now about $7,000 a year) that I'll actually be able to SAVE in my retirement years, and the prospect of such financial independence is pretty exciting.

While 10 years is still a while away yet, it's close enough that it seems within reach and for the first time I can actually visualize getting there.

Slightly off-topic: I've only been home from work about an hour and already received 2 marketing solicitation calls...one from a long-distance phone company and one from some company wanting to offer me a free vacation (yeah right!). I hung up on both (with a pleasant 'no thank you', but I do hang up so they don't have a chance to say anthing more...it's a waste of my time and theirs). There's supposed to be a "no call" registry starting up in Canada soon, to stop these kinds of phone solicitations and you can bet I'm going to get myself on the registry as soon as it's open. I once bought a magazine subscription when I was in my early 20s from someone over the phone, but I learned my lesson then and have never purchased anything since. Twenty years of phone calls with no sales and they keep on trying. I should tell them they are batting terrible odds!

Marie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

All content copyright The Lazy Frugalist 2008 - present.